Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hello From Nova Scotia, Canada!!

The final stage of my adventures has begun. I left Israel for the 12 hour flight to Newark, New Jersey and on to Nova Scotia. There was a glitch in the flights however. When I arrived in Newark I was delayed due to fog in Halifax. There was a wait; I was tired, then the flight was cancelled. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and I was booked for the next morning, given food vouchers from the airline and sent to a hotel paid for by the airline. I was tired and did not object one bit. I needed to get up early the next day (at 3:00am) to get to the airport to catch my 6:30 flight which was also delayed due to fog still being in Halifax. We left about 9:00am and all is well. I rented a van which could accommodate my bike and I was off.

I spent 5 days again in the dorms. I found accommodations at St. Mary’s University to be just what I needed. They were inexpensive and close to downtown. I did a lot of walking, some bicycling and took in the Halifax Citadel, The Maritime Museum, Canada Day (Canadian Independence Day) and I became oriented with some of the “Celtic” foundations of this province.

I attended a concert one evening in St. Patrick’s Church which was slated to close due to high costs in renovations. The concert was part of a fund raider for the renovations. It was an original text, for the most part, entitled “Music of Sea and Sand – Currents of Sable Island and Celtic Mass for the Sea. It was written by Halifax natives and pulled together texts of ancient Celtic folk lore and texts set to music in a “mass” type of format. As I look deeper into Celtic Spirituality, there is much for reflection here. Each “concert go-er” received a text of the score. Sable Island is off of Nova Scotia and has been the home of ship rescue teams for many years. The island waters are extremely dangerous.

The past few days I’ve been exploring the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island. I can see why the Scots and Irish settled here. It’s very much like Scotland and Ireland. There’s also a strong contingent of French on the Island.

The scenery is some of the most beautiful I’ve ever come across in my travels. What beauty God has made!! How honored I am to be here.

I made up for 5 days of dorm living by 5 days of “house on the water” here in Bedek Nova Scotia. It’s beautiful!!!

1 comment:

Renee said...

That's how I felt in Alaska...God does good work!!!