Thursday, June 5, 2008

David's City - Jerusalem (June 5th, 2008)


Although I’ve been here before, Jerusalem continues to have ever-new religious meaning for me. I’m convinced that you just can’t see it once and be done. It’s always a place that touches my faith. This is my fourth time here.

Our group has been going strong for four days now. Classes, tours and lectures are informative and it’s hard to remember all this and take it in and digest it. They told us that it’s impossible. Just live here and enjoy it and take in what you can and that’ll be enough. They tell us to take time to think and reflect. I’m trying to do this.

The Western Wall of the Temple (above) is where the Jewish Community goes to pray especially on sabbath. I, too prayed there this week.
We drove and walked through areas today where King David lived and ruled. We saw how water kept the city alive and this water spring was the basis for Jerusalem’s founding…1,800 years before the birth of Jesus! We saw the temple area and how it developed. We walked through stones and excavations where Jesus would have walked upon entering the temple…one never can read scripture the same again after walking this walk!!

We drove through the valley around Jerusalem where Isaiah walked and wrote his prophecy. He picked up on the surroundings that were included in this prophecy. It’s alive like I’ve never experience it before!!

There are 30 of us from around the world in my group. There is also a group form the University of Notre Dame here for two weeks as well as a resident group of scholars writing and taking classes. Five of us began a small group that meets each night to process the day. It takes a small group to make sure you don’t miss anything important.


On another note:
I just finished my second load of laundry here in Israel. I don’t think I can call these washing machines; they’re laundry pulverizers!!!

There are few dryers here. Each room has a rack so you can leave your laundry to dry outside; which doesn’t take long…It’s dry and in the 90’s here today. This is more domestic than I want to experience!!!




2 comments:

Renee said...

Wow! It's awesome what you're doing. It gives me shivers to think of walking in Jesus' footsteps.

Janet Hopper said...

Just watched a tv show on the History channel about David's City....you are a lucky duck (and well deserved) to be able to experience all that you have. Safe travels to you and we continue to keep you in prayer.
Janet & Jeff Hopper